Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Review:
War of the Worlds

It was a 200 seater movie theatre in Dubai's famed City Center.
I was one of the three people scattered around the largish hall.

I usually brood for a few minutes and try and come with a few smart comments about the movie.
I was left numb at the end of it. Not because it overwhelmed me. I dont think I was ever involved in the movie. I was just an engrossed by-stander.
Did I like the movie when I was in the theater. Yes.
Did I think about it the moment Steven Speilberg's name flashed at the end? No.

The movie did have its positives (Here we go for the smart ones after the brooding):
Tom Cruise was not a Hero. Tom cruise was a just a charactor who keeps getting lucky all the frigging time. Either the tripod aliens shoot very badly or Tommy boy just keeps missing all the shrapnel and the flying bebris by a whisker.

The babe who acted as his daughter did an awesome job though.
This seems to be a new trend, where inspite of kicking the alien asses, the truimph is only when the protagonist succeeds in personal relationships. Should augur well for the insurance companies.

Me is off for a walk in the old Dubai town.

3 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You kept wishing to be on the mountains and you landed up in a Concrete Desert

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger SocialPariah said...

Three clarifications needed:
1. Old Dubai???
2. Dubai town???
3. 1 AND 2???

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger ***** said...

The suspense is bloody cool. The ending was not dramatic enough for such a lot of build-up. Liked it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home